Saturday, September 7, 2013

Filipino Fish Head Soup


In the mood for soup on this hot day, so stopped in at the Asian Market to see what I could find. They had some nice looking salmon heads and the price was right. $1.98lb, after weighing $2.08. Also picked up some baby bok choy, scallions, ginger and garlic.

Preparation is simple. mince ginger (1/2c), chop garlic (entire head), chop scallions (6pcs, bulb plus greens), 2 bunches baby bok choy (green separated from white), 6cups boiling water, 2-4tbsp fish sauce (patis), 1.5 tsp Hawaiian salt. and 2 tbsp coconut oil.

Heat oil over medium high heat, add garlic and ginger. Cook till fragrant but not browned, add scallions, mix thoroughly. Place head in pot, pour boiling water over the top. Season with patis to taste. Return to a boil, cover and cook for 15min depending on size of head. Flip head over mid way through and add salt to taste.

Place salmon bowl, add bok choy whites to broth, cook for 1min then add greens. Remove from heat and stir. Pour broth and veggies into bowl.

1st time eat head for me. Started with the eyes, nothing to write home about. Pops like roe when bitten. The best part was the flesh behind the eye socket and cheeks, fatty and succulent!


3 comments:

  1. I borrowed a photo for my blog, using my band width. If you object, leave me a note. http://fkclinic.blogspot.com/2014/12/when-your-food-stares-back-at-you.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I borrowed a photo for my blog, using my band width. If you object, leave me a note. http://fkclinic.blogspot.com/2014/12/when-your-food-stares-back-at-you.html

    ReplyDelete