Saturday, February 2, 2013

Fermented Sriracha

Theses photos are from last summer when the farmers market had red habaneros. They are usually only available July, maybe August from local grown sources. If you can't find these or don't want it fiery hot use fresno chilies or you can use any red chile.

1lb red Habs, snip off stems but leave the green shoulders. It add some depth to the flavor. Hard to explain what but there is a taste difference if they are removed.


 Place peppers into your vita-mix or other high power blender. Add 2 cloves garlic, 2-3tbsp salt and 1/4-1/2c water to puree


The puree should be thick enough to hang on the spoon.


Pour into a mason jar and screw on lid tight. Or you can use a burping valve. Let ferment for 1-4wks depending on the tang you like. Start tasting after 2wks. I have tried an unfermented version using vinegar and prefer the fermented. The fermenting process changes the flavor and texture for the better, and you do not need to add vinegar to get the desired sourness.


When fermentation is complete you can use as is for the probiotics or you can cook. Either way add 2tbsp coconut sugar and mix thoroughly. Add more salt if needed. I've made both raw and cooked, the latter has better flavor and texture


Put into clean jar and store in the fridge. Hab sriracha is way hot compared to fresno's and Thai chilies are some where in between. There's no comparison to the store bought version, the depth of flavor here is incredible!


One concoction I made used the Trinidad scorpion butch T peppers. This sauce is so freakin' hot just tasting the tip of the spoon sent me reeling. I made 5 batches last summer to hold me over till the next season.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kitoi, Just wanted to say how much I'm enjoying your posts. I followed a link on Facebook from Bill & Hayley of the The Food Lovers Kitchen and have been popping in every couple days since. Love all your offal posts and your Filipino dishes too. This post is my favorite so far. I don't think I can wait until summer to try making my own Sriracha, I might have to practice on some imported peppers until it warms up in the Bay Area. Thanks! Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jen! Glad you're enjoying my posts and recipes.

    ReplyDelete