Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Fermented lard mayonnaise

In preparation for another dish I need some mayo and something I have not made before. So what better time to give it a try. Didn't want to do the typical olive or coconut and was not going use seed oils I decided I'd give lard a try.




 2egg yolks
3/4tsp lemon juice
1tsp coconut sugar
1/2tsp sea salt
1/2tbsp whey
1/2c melted lard

Actually was not hard at all, just put everything in the food processor, drizzle in the melted lard and blitz for a couple minutes. One thing I did do out of the ordinary was ferment it to give it a longer shelf life.

Once placed in jar leave on counter over night to ferment then place in the fridge. You'll need to let it come to room temp to be easily spreadable.

2 comments:

  1. Whey speeds the fermentation. Fermented mayonnaise will last longer, up to 8wks

    ReplyDelete